Pages

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, April 12, 2010

Has it really been a year?

Tucker turns the big ONE tomorrow! I can't believe it's already been a year! I was browsing through our old blogs - back when I was still BFP (big fat and pregnant) and all of the memories came rushing back to me.

I remember toward the end of my pregnancy, I would cry after each doctor's appointment because I hadn't progressed whatsoever. I remember being so bored out of my mind that all I could do was cry and nap. I remember being absolutely miserable the last month. I remember my due date coming and going and with each passing day praying that my water would break. I remember being so disappointed that I had to be induced.

I remember laying in the hospital watching this one commercial over and over. I remember my water finally breaking...believe me, no one can forget that! I remember the nurse giving me an Ambian so I could rest but I just laid there watching that same commercial all through the night. And after 19 hours of labor, I remember my doctor telling me I had dilated to a 4 and I would need a C-section.

I remember being so scared and just laying in my bed crying while Alec tried to comfort me and all our family sat around just talking. I remember seeing a nun peek her head in and later, when I was on the operating table, I remember wishing I had asked that nun to come in and pray with me.

I remember laying on the operating table with my arms strapped down and some scrubs hat thing barely sitting on my head. I remember asking for Alec over and over and everyone kept telling me he'd be right in - it seemed like an eternity! I remember Alec telling me to look at him. Look at him. And I remember I did - through streams of tears, I just looked at him.

Then I remember pressure on my stomach and the sweetest sound I've ever heard. I remember Tucker's cry. I remember hearing 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10, 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 as they counted Tucker's fingers and toes. Then I remember the nurse holding Tucker next to me so I could see my baby for the first time. He was perfect! Simply perfect.

I remember after our family and friends had gone home and we had like 5 seconds without a nurse in the room, we sang Happy Birthday for the first time to our sweet baby.

We've stumbled and bumbled along the way. There have been countless frustrating sleepless nights. Our patience has been tested again and again and our worries as expectant parents have quadrupled as parents of a baby. But it's been worth it - every single second has been worth it.

And I wouldn't mind if time would not fly quite so fast while we're having fun!

No comments: