Pages

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, May 19, 2008

Planes Trains Automobiles...and a Boat!

We finally made it! After 1 car, 1 shuttle, 3 planes, 1 tram, another car, a taxi, a boat and another shuttle, we made it to The White Elephant Hotel in Nantucket!

Our adventure began in Tulsa when it was obvious to everyone that neither of us had flown in a long time. I freaked when I had to take off my flip flops and stand BARE FOOTED while my $2 Old Navy flops went through the x-ray thing. Then of course we were carrying toilettries in my purse and both of our suitcases that were not properly packed. Apparently everything has to be in Zip-Loc bags now. Alec lost a big bottle of hair gel so that's first on our list today!

When we landed in Minneapolis/St. Paul, we were dropped off at one end of the airport then had to depart at the opposite end - and only had about 30 minutes to work with! This is when the tram came in to play!

Our connection in Detroit was the same way, but luckily we had about an hour to work with so we managed to cram down some sandwhiches. Apparently snacks are no longer complimentary on an airplane - they cost $3!

When we arrived in Providence, we had to rent a car to drive the 1 1/2 hour trip to Hyannis. We asked for a midsize and got a PT Cruiser! Not that there's anything wrong with that, but come on! A PT Cruiser?!?! Here's Alec filling up the PT once we arrived in Hyannis. Gas was $3.89 a gallon!



We dropped off the PT Cruiser at the airport in Hyannis then grabbed a taxi to the Hyline fast ferry. By the time we got on the ferry, the sky was completely overcast and it was drizzly. The local were dressed for winter! They had on sweaters and coats and even stocking caps! I wore my capri pant & 3/4 lenghth jog suit and flip flops! Alec had on jeans and a t-shirt. Who looked like tourists?

Here we are on the ferry enjoying brews from a local brewery (they weren't that good!).



When we pulled into the harbor, we saw Brandt Point Lighthouse! I ran up the stairs to the top of the ferry (and in the cold drizzle) and tried to take pictures. I asked a local (at least I thought he was local by his accent) if that was Brandt Point and he said it was. I said "That's where I'm getting married on Tuesday!" He shook my hand and congratulated me.


When we finally got to our hotel, we were cold, wet, tired and hungry! We ran down to the grill and got some fried clams, a crab cake and a couple of Whales Tails (Nantucket's own brew!).

Before bed I was upset that maybe we made a mistake! I mean, where was our fun New England beach vacation? It was so cold and rainy here! Alec just wanted to go to sleep.


But then this morning, I woke up to birds singing and the sun blazing through the windows.




It's going to be a beautiful day!

1 comment:

Emma said...

Congratulations! It looks like awesome fun.