Pages

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, October 27, 2008

Adios, Flu Bug!

At our last appointment, my OB/GYN was adamant about me getting a flu shot. Now, I've never ever had the flu and I've never ever had a flu shot. In fact, I'm rarely sick at all. I told her all of this, but she didn't care - I HAVE to get a flu shot!

After we left, I got to thinking - I can get a flu shot, but I can't have a bologna sandwich?!?! I Googled flu shots and pregnancy and found quite a few sites that mentioned something called Thimerosal. Basically, Thimerosal is mercury and it's used in immunizations as a preservative. I checked both the FDA and CDC websites and neither said there was a risk to get a good ol' fashioned flu shot with Thimerosal. However, I found several other sites that linked Thimerosal to autism in children. I also found out that when I get a flu shot, the immunization carries over to our baby and our baby is actually safe against the flu for up to 6 months after it's born. I found out that children should receive Thimerosal-free vaccines and pregnant women should request Thimerosal-free flu shots.

I called my OB/GYN's nurse and asked her if I should get a Thimerosal-free shot and she said that was an excellent question and yes I should! So I scheduled an appointment with my regular doctor then called back today to make sure they have Thimerosal-free flu shots. They do not nor did they know anyone who did. They suggested the Visiting Nurses Association, but didn't have a phone number for them. I called the health department. They have Thimerosal-free shots, but only for children - for for adults - not even pregnant adults! Now if my flu shot carries over to my baby, wouldn't that be the same as giving a baby a Thimerosal contained flu shot?!?!

So I had to decide - no flu shot at all and risk my health and our baby's health or get a regular flu shot and risk our child having complications. Rock & hard place!

I called my OB/GYN's nurse again and asked if she knew anyone who offered Thimerosal-free shots. She read to me the findings of the FDA that there is very little evidence that Thimerosal can cause problems with unborn babies and that there was a much larger risk with getting the flu. She even told me how she used to break open thermometers when she was little and play with the mercury and she's ok. What the heck?!?! Yeah - and I used to steal my dad's beers when I was little and drink them, but just because I turned out ok, doesn't mean I'm going to drink beer when I'm pregnant! I was not a happy camper.

I finally found the phone number for the VNA and they offer Thimerosal-free shots! For pregnant women! Yea! So Alec took me to get my flu shot and then to Braum's for a hot fudge shake! The flu shot hurt, but I have peace of mind and a fully belly now!

No comments: