Pages

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, March 18, 2010

What's for dinner?

I'm always curious about what people eat for dinner - do they go out to eat? do they eat a lot of microwave dinners? do they make sure to include all food groups?

I'm amazed when I call my sister and she tells me she's making something like a roast or chicken fried steak or a roasted chicken...for dinner...on a WEEKNIGHT!

I have 3 requirements when planning dinner (I try to hit at least 2 of the 3!):
1. Easy
2. Healthy (or at least not horribly bad for you)
3. Inexpensive

Two weeks ago, our grocery bill left me speechless...I know! Me - speechless! This is a rare occasion. So I thought - meal planning - that's the key. We need to start planning our meals for the week and really working with what we have.

So I feel compelled to share with you what we had for dinner this week (so far). Oh and: breakfast= Pop Tart & coffee / lunch= sandwich & salad or leftovers

Also, I try to make something Tucker can eat...and I have an endless supply of beef.

Monday - Hamburger Helper & green beans
Tuesday - Hamburger Helper leftovers
Wednesday - Chicken parmesan & peas

Here ares some sure fire helpers:
French bread - you can buy these for like $2 (on sale this week for $1.79-woohoo!) and they last for 2 or 3 weeks in your 'fridge.
"Cream of____" soups - really easy and quick recipes on the can - usually includes stuff you already have on hand.
Easily pleased hubby - will eat anything you put in front of him. This really helps with all of my experimental recipes!

I also always have all sorts of seasonings on hand. I feel very grown up when a recipe calls for something and I just so happen to have it! Corriander? Right in the cabinet. Rice wine vinegar? Let me get the bottle out of the pantry.

Anyway, I will start including some of my own recipes and tips to hopefully help others keep the grocery bill down and the belly full!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love to eat anything my wonderful wife makes. Always delicious and leftovers are yummy too!
She's the best cook I've ever known!