Pages

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Our Table

We're on a quest to find a new dining room table. We have one but it's small and would fit better in our kitchen.

The table we have was Alec's grandparents table. It was the first piece of furniture his grandpa bought when he came home from the war (WW II). With history like that, there's no way we would part with it!

Now that Tucker is able to sit up and eat, I have this dream of having family meals at our dining table - breakfast on Saturday mornings (pass the biscuits please), big Sunday afternoon lunch (complete with fried chicken & all the fixin's) and of course dinner each evening when we can talk about the good things that happened that day.

Growing up, I rarely had meals at a table. My mom was a single mom and worked 2 or 3 jobs so my sister and I could have nice things. So that left us to fend for ourselves and meals consisted of grilled cheese sandwiches or Spaghetti-Os or a variety of Schwann's deep fried goodness cooked in our death trap of a Fry Daddy! Every now and then we'd have a big breakfast at our table, but mostly, we ate in the living room in front of the TV.

I look forward to turning off the TV, setting the table and presenting my feeble attempts at home cooking to my family. I want to have family gatherings and holiday parties with our friends at our home. I want to linger over a cup of coffee and the Sunday paper with Alec at our dining table. I want Tucker to grow from his highchair, to a booster seat to his very own chair all at our dining table.

That may seem like a lot to expect from a simple piece of furniture, but there's a quiet niceness to simplicity that reminds us of the important things in life. And it all begins with family.

No comments: