Pages

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, August 22, 2011

So Far...So Good!

Sunday was a busy busy day for this momma! I was so excited to check out Sunday's coupons, that I almost got out of bed when I woke up at 4:30! Almost.

The coupons were pretty slim pickin's this week but I was able to match up a couple of things. After Alec got back from grocery shopping, I matched up my coupons with this week's sales and headed out! At Walgreens, I bought $22 worth of stuff for only $3! Then at Target, I got a prescription filled and received a $10 gift card. I used this to by myself a fancy new coupon binder!

Here's my new binder!

It zips all the way around and has 1 1/2 inch rings. On the left side, there is an expandable file. This is where I stash my inserts/circulars (Walgreens, Target, Reasors, Food Pyramid, WalMart, CVS). I have a pencil pouch which holds my scissors and pens. I added a spiral notebook so I can jot down who has what on sale and what coupon I have to match that sale item. Then there are my coupons! I found another couponer's website and she had a table of contents and divider pages which I printed on thick paper. I'm using baseball card holder sheets to hold my coupons.

So I think I'm all set as far as couponing is concerned. Oh - lesson learned? Discuss with dear hubby what is on sale and what I have coupons for. Target had fruit cups on sale for $2 this week. I have a .75/2 coupon. Said coupon did not make it to the store with dear hubby. We totally could've owned those fruit cups for $1.63 each! ARGH!

As far as meal planning goes...well, today was better than yesterday! First of all, I have never dealt with a whole raw chicken. Let me say....I probably never will again. After I cut open the packaging, that poor bird flopped out into my sink. I picked it up and immediately had the heebie jeebies. I think I even gagged a few times. I had all sorts of plans about shoving a lemon where the sun don't shine and seasoning the heck out of that thing! Well, I rinsed it, patted it dry, threw on some salt, pepper and garlic powder and tossed it in the crock pot with some potatoes, sweet potatoes and carrots. About an hour or 2 before it was finished, I added a few sprigs of fresh rosemary from our garden. The chicken turned out kinda dry and the veggies were a little soggy. Alec had to tear that bird apart. I was so done with it.

I also whipped up some meatloaf muffins and mashed potatoes (both in the freezer for Thursday night).

Tonight, I shredded some of the chicken from Sunday, added a little water and some spices (I forgot to get taco seasoning) and simmered with a few scoops of black beans. I made a package of Spanish rice and added some frozen corn at the end. I have to say that was a pretty good dinner!

I have enough chicken left over to make a little chicken & rice casserole with mixed veggies for tomorrow night. Then on Wednesday, we should have plenty of leftovers!

Lesson learned? Buy the rotisserie chicken or stick with the frozen skinless/boneless breasts.

So far so good! Hopefully I can stick with this couponing thing and menu planning so my family can enjoy fast, healthy and cheap meals!

No comments: