Pages

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, July 21, 2008

Our Little Southern Bells

We have produce!



They are the tiniest bell peppers you've ever seen, but they're there! We were sure the squash would be first because their vines and blooms have really taken off. Now the true test of our green thumbs is produce coming from the seeds we planted!

We went to the 62nd Annual Cavalcade in Pawhuska on Saturday. This is the world's largest ameteur rodeo and you can see everything from roping and barrel racing to the pony express and chuck wagon races. My sister and I used to go to the Cavalcade every year when we were growing up so I thought city boy Alec would love it...and he does!

We stopped by to visit my family in Wynona on the way home and my grandparents loaded us up with veggies from their garden. They had 2 cucumber plants that went crazy and produced waaaay more cucumbers than they needed (my grandpa doesn't care for them) so I brought home lots of cucumbers and made my sister's jalapeno dill pickles.

I didn't have everything you need to successfully can - like a super huge pot or those fancy canning tongs, but I worked with what I have and I think the pickles will turn out fine. I was nervous about the lids sealing all the way but all last night you could hear little pops coming from the kitchen! We only had 2 this morning that didn't appear to be sealed. Hopefully they'll seal today or we'll just have to eat those first! I put a jalapeno (some fresh from my mom's garden) in each jar which gives the pickles a little kick!


A few weekends ago, Alec put in a brick walkway between our patio and the hot tub. I failed to post about the project and all his hard work so...

Alec first measured out the walkway and spray painted the outline. He then dug up the grass and transplanted it to a bare spot in the yard. He tamped down the dirt and spread sand all over the area. He layed out the bricks in a pattern then filled in around the bricks with dirt. Our hope is that grass will eventually grow around the bricks so the walkway looks more incorporated into our yard.



We don't have a lot of pictures of this because I was at the store for most of the morning and by the time I got home, I was distraught about how much time it takes me to accomplish simple tasks.

Our next project is hanging a clothes line to help conserve energy and money! We found a few different styles and think we'll get one of the retractable kinds so we can just use it when we want then put it back when we don't need it.

Hopefully we'll have more produce pictures soon! Woo Hoo!

No comments: